Good afternoon bees! How have you been doing since our big announcement? Anyone managed to get their hands on our brand new drinks in Boots yet? Any favourite flavours?! Here at The Hive we still can’t decide on our favourites!
Although our Orange & Mango flavour have certainly been brightening up the Just Bee Hive as it’s been pretty miserable weather the past few days! We’ve been keeping warm and cosy in thick jumpers and have enjoyed plenty of hot tea (sweetened with a little drop of honey of course!) as well as some of Chef Bee’s most recent honey filled treats…
She whipped up these cookies in no time and assured us that they’re super easy to make, so we decided we had to share them with you too! They’re sweetened with a touch of honey and we can certainly guarantee that they taste absolutely BEElicious!
So, what’s the secret to these cookies? Well, Chef Bee explains that she used a mix of ground almonds, which create a deliciously moist texture, and tahini, a paste made from sesame seeds, to bind them together. Tahini is a staple in many cuisines, especially in the Mediterranean and Middle East. We’ve been loving it recently at The Hive as it’s BEEautiful in both sweet and savoury dishes, from hummus to sesame fudge… And tahini is an excellent source of calcium (yep, really!) as well as lots of vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, iron and zinc! Most importantly, it also pairs perfectly with our favourite golden ingredient, honey!
The result? With just a handful of simple ingredients and less than half an hour, you can make yourself a batch of soft and chewy cookies, which taste BEElicious with an afternoon cuppa, we promise!
So, without further ado, here’s the recipe.
Just Bee’s Honey Almond Sesame Cookies
Makes: 12 cookies
Time: 20 minutes (10 minutes prep, 10 minutes cooking)
Difficulty: 3/10 (Easy!)
- 80g runny honey (we used Pa Harpers, as usual!)
- 80g tahini
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 150g ground almonds
- 60g buckwheat flour (plain, spelt or wholemeal flour would also work)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. (30g) sesame seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C and line a baking tray with baking paper, or grease lightly with butter/coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, add the honey, tahini, beaten egg and vanilla extract, and mix well until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients (ground almonds, buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt, and sesame seeds) and mix well until fully combined.
- Roll the dough into 12 ping pong sized balls and place them onto the lined baking tray. The mixture will be thick and sticky so it’s best to use your hands bees – it’s time to dive right in!
- Press down each ball with the palm of your hand, to create a thick disc.
- Bake in a hot oven for 10-12 mins, until the cookies begin to brown on the edges. Be careful not to over bake though – we like ours soft and chewy on the inside!
- Remove the cookies from the oven, transfer them to a cooling rack and leave them to cool (if you can resist!) before eating.
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Well there you have it. It really is as simple as it sounds. Add the wet ingredients, add the dry ingredients, shape, and bake! These also make a pretty nifty surprise if you’re visiting a friend for a weekend coffee. Who can resist a healthy, but super BEElicious afternoon treat? We’d love to hear how get on with our latest honey hack recipe – please email email@example.com or tag us on our socials @justbeedrinks to let us know!
Until next time,
Blogger Bee x