Good afternoon bees, we hope you had a fun bank holiday weekend in the sunshine? It sure was hot! We had a BBQ and Chef Bee whipped up this chilled purple smoothie to cool us all down – it was delicious so thought we’d share the recipe with you.
Our ‘BEElicious Blueberry Buzz’ smoothie is free from refined sugars and tastes rather like an iced cold blueberry muffin (YUM!). Made with our Blueberry Just Bee and lots of other healthy ingredients, this is an iced beverage you don’t want to miss! Oh and if you want to try adding some alcoholic mixers, it might be a great one to impress at a summer party too!
If you hadn’t gathered it already, we think smoothies are a great afternoon treat. Not only do they taste seriously good (you’ll have to try this one to see if you agree), but they are also satisfying and packed full of nutrients. Unlike many sweat treats and smoothies available in the shops that are often high in refined sugars, this one is a winner. Also bees, don’t think that you have to limit this smoothie to just the afternoon, it’s make a seriously tasty dessert too.
We’ve called it our Blueberry Buzz because it’s full of healthy fats, protein, fibre, vitamins, and minerals. In fact, Chef Bee couldn’t resist telling us about some of the ingredients as it includes lots of her favourites:
- Blueberries: These juicy berries are officially labelled a ‘superfood’ as they contain a group of antioxidants called anthocyanins, which give blueberries their unique blue colour. Blueberries are also a great source of fibre, Vitamin C and manganese.
- Unsweetened Yoghurt: Greek yoghurt is full of natural probiotic cultures, the good bacteria that keep our tummies happy! In addition, it is a great source of protein and it enhances the creamy texture of any smoothie.
Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a wonder spice. It is loaded with antioxidants (called polyphenols), it has anti-inflammatory properties, it helps regular blood sugar levels and it is suggested to be protective against neuro-degenerative diseases!
*Pst. We’ll let you into a little secret. We snuck a chunk of courgette for extra goodness into ours. Why don’t you try it too? We promise you won’t taste it, bees!
Now for the recipe itself…
BEElicious Blueberry Buzz
Serves: 1 eager bee!
Time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 1 ripe banana (preferably pre-frozen in chunks)
- 1 chunk of courgette or a handful of leafy greens
- ½ cup unsweetened greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp. almond butter (optional)
- 1 tsp. runny honey (we use Pa Harper’s!)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 150ml (approx. half) Just Bee Blueberry (or other liquid of choice)
- Simply put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy straight away!
What do you think bees? It really couldn’t be simpler. Throw all the ingredients together, blend and enjoy. That’s your next afternoon slump sorted! We’d love to see how you get on if you whip up any honey inspired smoothies. Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org to share your creations or tag us on social @justbeedrinks. We’ll send our favourite some free Just Bee and might even give them a try ourselves!
Have a good one!
Blogger Bee x